Followers

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cottonwood Derby by Nahmi Jones

Tales of the Cottonwood Clinic starting Friday 7/2/10 by our own Dr. Jones....


Hmmm, its almost 11p. I'd followed the clearly marked signs from the freeway off ramp to the Event Derby. But now the road has deadended. I hadn't passed a stabling chart, let alone anything that looks stabling. Turned off the engine. Pitch black. Started to rethink the idea of coming up the night before by my lonesome. tick. tick. tick.

Relieved to see Erin Bridges drive up just then to help me find the barn, the light switch, the stabling chart and Simon's stall.

The Cottonwood Ranch late night welcoming committee set the tone, I knew I was in for a relaxed weekend in a supportive atmosphere.

Simon and I were ready to go early the next morning with the Training group in the jump clinic taught by Brain Sabo. I was hoping to be able to demonstrate our progress since our last lesson with Brian a month ago.

Brian's simple, elegant definition of the half halt is taking a horse's power from extension to compression. In the case of horses like Simon, who solve their problems with extension, the answer to too much extension is a small control circle on the counter bend to engage the outside hind. Eventually, the counterbend translates to a clearer half halt.

Both height in the show jump arena and terrain on the XC field pushed beyond my comfort zone. I was able to see how my excitement/anxiety translated into increased extension and loss of balance as the questions got harder. Being able to focus on our new line of communication: counterbend=halfhalt, led to better balance thru compressing and maintaining our power and improved our jumping technique.

My clinic experience was confidence building and loads of fun. Brian maintained his patience, enthusiasm and humor throughout the whole day. He still had one-liners left at the end of the day for Sherry in the baby beginner group, equating Poznan's first attempt at an up bank to a high school kid coming home from his first party.

Thanks to Wendy Wergeles and everyone at Cottonwood.

2 comments:

ursanine said...

Sounds like you need a bodyguard -- a full time one. I mean, you could have really hurt yourself with all those knobs to turn and buttons to push in that cute little convertible. I'd get a big guy -- a scary dude --- but you kow funny too, in case you get waylaid by somebodry from NPR. Think John Goodmand or Tom
Sizemore -- or James Gandolfini -- but more the "get shorty" gandolfini rather than the "soprano" versio -- you know, sombeody who would have had the 2+2 to bring good scotch while you figured out how t0 use the hazard lights. if it werer me i'd get a guy with a couple of fullly loaded dobermans. but that's just me. loved the piece. not sure what its about so i am going to re read it now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc,
Thanks for checking out our little blog! No need for body guards or dobermans, me and the "lab-mix" aka rottie are doing fine amongst our eventing bretheren.

Glad you enjoyed my humble piece, stay tuned for more fun, bigger adventures to come this year!!